I think I made the perfect batch of oatmeal cookies ever to be made – by me. They were perfectly chewy, not too sweet, just the right amount of mini chocolate chips and did I mention soft and chewy? This is my second batch I made this week. In fact, I purposely made small batches so I wouldn’t eat them all. But they were so good, I made them again. Go figure! My daughter and husband helped of course. And my daughter’s little friends came over and gobbled them right up.
For this recipe, I cut the sugar in half and can’t imagine them being any sweeter because the chocolate chips give it enough sweetness on their own. Also, instead of using all white flour, I used half whole wheat flour and half all purpose. And for the chocolate chips, I used just a small amount of mini chocolate chips as to not overwhelm the oatmeal cookie, if you know what I mean.
(For your convenience, affiliate link:)
Then to make it into a fun Halloween themed cookie, I decided to add some Sunspire Sundrops dye-free candy coated chocolates on top. Not only do I think these cookies would be the perfect treat for Halloween parties, but also as a fun after school or lunchbox snack as well!
Can you tell we love Halloween?
Overall, for more Halloween themed treats, make sure to check out our 2 ingredient halloween chocolate ganache glazed cupcakes! And for fun Halloween favors that are candy-free, check out our most popular DIY bead and string kits!
Full recipe below!
(For your convenience, affiliate link)
Chewy Oatmeal Cookies: Halloween Themed
Feel free to add more sugar if you feel they are not sweet enough. I prefer my cookies less sweet.
- 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup of all purpose flour
- 1 and 1/4 cup of quick oats
- 1/4 cup of raw cane sugar
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1 stick of softened butter (1/2 cup)
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 egg at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp of baking soda
- 1/4 tsp of sea salt
- 1/4 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/4 cup of semi sweet or dark mini chocolate chips
- Few dye free candy coated chocolates to place on top of cookie
- Pre heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the softened butter with the sugar until creamy.
- Add vanilla and egg and beat until all blended together.
- In a separate bowl, add all the dry ingredients and whisk together.
- Slowly mix in the dry with the wet mixture until combined. Do not over mix.
- Scoop about a tablespoon of mixture and gently roll into ball and place on top of parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes. Do not over bake!
Recipe adapted from: Chelsea’s Messy Apron Via The Recipe Critic
For more simple kid-friendly food ideas, make sure to follow me on Instagram!
1 thought on “Chewy Oatmeal Cookies – Halloween Themed”
Pingback: Halloween Food Ideas For Kids - Bebe and Bear