My favorite thing about summer, by far, is summer food. Namely, barbecue’s, popsicles, ice cream and summer fruit. And for salads, anyone that knows me, knows, that I LOVE macaroni salad. This version happens to be my fave, not because I made it, but because it’s the perfect balance between not too creamy, not too sweet and just the right amount of crunch. And it’s super kid-friendly!
For this macaroni salad, I added diced red bell peppers, orange bell peppers, carrot, celery, red onion, cucumber, hard boiled egg, and a sprinkle of grated yolk and parsley. Instead of regular mayo, I used a veganaise, some dijon mustard, white wine vinegar and instead of sugar I sweetened it with a little bit of honey. It was delish! And it totally satisfied my pregnancy craving. My pregnancy cravings have been super weird so far, and macaroni salad was definitely one of them.
Also, to make this recipe vegan, you can totally omit the egg altogether. It still tastes fantastic.
This post may contain affiliate links. Visit my disclosure for full details.
Macaroni Salad Sweetened with Honey
Please feel free to add less or more of the veggies according to preference. You can also add more honey according to sweetness preference as well. Eliminate egg to make it vegan.
- 1 bag - 16 Oz of Macaroni Elbows
- 1/4 cup of diced red and orange bell pepper
- 1/4 cup of diced celery
- 1/4 cup of diced cucumber
- 1/4 cup of diced carrot
- 1/4 cup of diced red onion
- 2 hard boiled egg whites cut up
- sprinkle of grated hard boiled yolk for the top
- sprinkle of parsley (optional)
- 1/2 cup of veganaise (regular mayo if you don't want to use vegan mayo)
- 1-2 tsp of dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp of honey
- 1 tbsp of white wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Boil macaroni elbows according to package instructions.
- Boil two hard boiled eggs.
- Finely dice up all vegetables and set aside.
- In a big mixing bowl, prepare the veganaise, dijon mustard, honey, white wine vinegar and salt/pepper and mix together.
- Stir in the diced veggies.
- Once the macaroni is cooked, rinse well under cold water.
- Stir in the macaroni with veggies.
- Mix in the hard boiled egg whites.
- Grate the hard boiled yolk on top and sprinkle on some parsley.
- Cover and let cool in the refrigerator until ready to eat!
Hoping everyone is having an amazing summer! Enjoy!
For more fun summer pasta ideas, check out my lemon kale pasta. My daughter loves it, and it’s a great way to add in that kale! Also make sure to follow me on Instagram for more kid-friendly, kid-approved recipe ideas!