Jump to recipe
I’m not sure why I’ve never made lemon poppy seed muffins before. They’re definitely one of my faves. In fact, I’m loving everything lemon flavored lately. Hence, why I made these dairy free lemon poppy seed muffins today!
This recipe makes 12 regular sized muffins, or 24 mini muffins. I think for the next time, I would make these into mini muffins instead. Not only do I think it would hold the moisture in better, but there’s something about bite-sized muffins as opposed to regular ones. Don’t you think?
These lemon poppy seed muffins are only a tad sweet. If you like your muffins sweeter, you can up the sugar by another 1/4 cup. And if you prefer a stronger lemon flavor, you can up the lemon zest another tablespoon too. But it’s pretty lemony already.
For other muffin ideas, here’s our veggie-filled toddler muffins, and strawberry oatmeal muffins as well! So many good choices. And perfect for school lunchboxes or an after school snack.
Dairy Free Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
These muffins are good on their own, but you can glaze them with a lemon glaze of confectioners sugar and lemon juice.
- 1 3/4 cup of white whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp of poppy seeds
- 2 tsp of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp of baking soda
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk
- 2 eggs
- 6 tbsp of organic cold pressed canola oil
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup of fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp of grated lemon zest
- Pre heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Soak the poppy seeds in the milk for 15 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and the lemon zest)
- In another bowl, add the eggs and whisk. Add in the sugar, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and oil.
- Pour in the poppyseed and milk.
- Add the dry ingredients in with the wet and stir. Do not over mix.
- Fill muffin liners 3/4 full. 12 for regular size. 24 mini muffins.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes. Do not over bake or it will become dry.
© 2023 Food Kids Love
For other kid-friendly, family-friendly, simple recipes, follow me on Instagram! And Facebook, too!