Look what we decided to make today, bright and early. Homemade cheddar cheese crackers made with chickpea flour. I’ve never used chickpea flour before, but I’ve been seeing it all over on Instagram and thought I’d give it a try. These crackers did not disappoint. They were cheesy, crispy and just what a cracker should taste like without all the additives you usually find in store-bought. We only used 4 ingredients. Crazy, right?
Cheddar Cheese. Chickpea flour. Salt. And organic cold-pressed canola oil. (coconut oil or safflower oil would probably work too.) I found that most homemade cheese cracker recipes called for butter, but since butter and I don’t do well (stomach-wise) I decided to switch it out, and surprisingly, it worked out great.
(For your convenience, affiliate link:)
At first, my daughter was a little weary with the whole idea. I mean, come on, chickpea in a cracker? But she got over that really quick once they came out of the oven. She said they tasted just like regular cheese crackers we buy at the store. Yay! I thought so too, but better. If you can’t find chickpea flour, you can find some here.
Making the crackers are actually quite easy, the only time-consuming part was cutting them out into shapes. It didn’t take too long, but if you want it quick and easy, you can just cut them into little squares. Since my daughter is off school and we have some time, we decided to cut out flowers individually with a mini cookie cutter. These are definitely going on my list of regular things to make – especially great for school lunches and after school snacks, I think!
For more after school snack ideas, check out our easy breakfast oatmeal cookies and super healthy granola bites!
Homemade Cheddar Cheese Crackers made with Chickpea Flour
The chickpea flour has a different scent when it's in the dough form, but don't worry, that goes away once it's baked!
- 1 cup of chickpea flour
- 3 tbsp of organic cold pressed canola oil (coconut oil or safflower oil will probably work too)
- 1/2 tsp of sea salt plus a little more to sprinkle afterwards
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese ( I used mild)
- 3 tbsp of water
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a food processor, pulse the flour and the salt together.
- Then add the oil and pulse.
- Then add cheese section at a time. I did three sections in between pulses.
- Add a table spoon of water in three sections as well. Pulsing in between each tablespoon.
- Once it forms into a dough texture, remove from food processor and wrap it in wax paper and chill for 20 minutes in the fridge.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to 1/8 thickness. If it's too thin, it will be really crispy. Try to make it as even as possible for even baking.
- Cut out into shapes with a mini cookie cutter, or just cut into little squares.
- Place on a lightly oiled sheet pan and bake for 12 -15 minutes.
- Sprinkle on some salt afterwards (Optional) and Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from: Super Healthy Kids
Also, don’t forget to follow me on Instagram for more kid-friendly, family-friendly food ideas! And Facebook, too!