Ok, don’t boo me yet. I’m making these quinoa pizza bowls for Superbowl. I know it’s not as good as the real thing, but let’s face it: what is? In my opinion, not much is better than a slice of oo-ey gooey pizza. But these quinoa pizza bowls may surprise you. Its still got that goo factor, and all the tastes that go with a pizza. Just no crust. And you kinda gotta eat it with a spoon.
I have to admit, when I saw this recipe on Ancient Harvest, it had me intrigued. I had to try it at least once to see how it was. And I must say again, I was pleasantly surprised. My husband ate 4 of them in one sitting. And the little ramekins were the perfect size for my daughter. After they bake in the oven for 20 minutes, it comes out gooey and crispy and all the flavors of your favorite pizza are present depending on how you fill them.
I took a 1/4 tsp measuring spoon and cut out mini pepperoni discs from a big piece of pepperoni. And with all the stragglers, I just put right into the filling, so zero waste. These quinoa pizza bowls are so easy to make. I’m thinking it’s not just a Super Bowl thing, it could very well be an everyday weeknight meal thing. Especially if you have leftover marinara sauce from the night before. And the topping choices are pretty endless. Next time, I think I will even try, gasp – pineapple.
As you can see, I’m so into quinoa right now. I think I just hadn’t found the right recipe before, so I quickly gave up on it. But now, I have my favorite quinoa pasta salad recipe, delicious quinoa parmesan patties and this! I still have to find the perfect quinoa salad, though. Any suggestions?
(For your convenience, affiliate link:)
Oh, and if you’re wondering where I got the beautiful flatware from, you can find it here. They are 100 percent high quality stainless steel and made in the US. My daughter loves them. The little 4 oz ramekins you can also find here.
Full recipe for quinoa pizza bowls below!
Quinoa Pizza Bowls
Vary toppings with your favorite toppings. Mix and match! Enjoy!
- 1 cup of uncooked quinoa - 3 cups of cooked quinoa
- marinara or pizza sauce
- 6 cremini mushrooms
- 1 green pepper
- 1/2 onion
- mozzarella cheese
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- crushed chili flakes (optional)
- Put one cup of uncooked quinoa into a pot with 2 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil, and then let simmer with lid on for 15 minutes.
- Fluff and let quinoa cool.
- While the quinoa is cooking, prep your toppings. Thinly slice pepper, mushroom and onion. Cut out mini pepperoni slices from one big slice of pepperoni with a 1/4 tsp measuring spoon.
- Measure out 3 cups of cooked quinoa into a medium mixing bowl.
- Add 1/3 cup of marinara sauce into the quinoa and mix. Also add in the straggler pepperoni pieces as well.
- Line six 4 oz ramekins on a baking sheet.
- Layer each ramekin with: 1/4 cup of quinoa. 1-2 tbsp of marinara. Then toppings of your choice. Then another 1/4 cup of quinoa. 1-2 tbsp of marinara. Cheese. Toppings of your choice.
- Bake in oven for approx 20 minutes.
- Let cool for 5 minutes and then eat with spoon!
Adapted by: Ancient Harvest
1 thought on “Quinoa Pizza Bowls : Healthy Pizza Alternative”
Pingback: Lemon Kale Pasta with Garlic and Parmesan - Bebe and Bear