I’ve been wanting to make eggs in a basket for a while now. Ever since I discovered them at Trails here in Griffith Park. They make them with pesto and parmesan and it is SO so good. So, of course, I decided to give it a go!
First, I took a wide mouth mason jar and cut out whole wheat bread into circles. (Pumpernickel bread is also really good.) If you have a 3 inch cookie cutter that would also work. You can roll them out with a rolling pin if you want, but I just kept it simple and left it like so.
*Also, don’t let the rest of the bread go to waste. I chopped up the scragglers and made croutons with it.
After greasing the muffin tin, layer everything together. Start with the bread, then pesto, then egg, and lastly sprinkle on some parmesan.
You can add salt and pepper to taste.
Then, just pop it in the oven for about 12 minutes and it’s done! So quick and easy!
(for your convenience, affiliate link:)
Sprinkling some chives on top, makes it extra tasty. (These herb scissors by the way, are the best for quickly chopping herbs. I now can’t live without them. Usually, I will just chop them with a knife, but this makes it so much easier and quicker.)
And voila – eggs in a basket with pesto and paremsan. These are so tasty, simple and kid-friendly! I love that you can just pick them up and eat them with your hands. I find they also taste just as good cold.
Happy Easter, everyone! For more muffin tin meal ideas, check out our veggie egg frittata muffins! And our strawberry oatmeal no sugar added muffins, too.
Also make sure to follow me on facebook and pinterest! And keep up with me on twitter and instagram for the latest!
Muffin Tin Egg in a Basket with Pesto and Parmesan
- 12 pieces of whole wheat or pumpernickel bread
- 12 eggs
- 1/4 cup of pesto
- olive oil
- parmesan cheese
- salt and black pepper to taste
- PRE HEAT OVEN TO 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- Cut out with a 3 inch cookie cutter or a wide mouth mason jar, 12 round pieces of whole wheat bread.
- Grease muffin tin with olive or avocado oil.
- Place each piece of bread into the muffin tin and press down gently. Brush lightly with more olive oil.
- Add about a 1/4 tsp of pesto in the middle of each bread.
- Crack a whole egg into each cup.
- Add 1/4 tsp more of pesto on top. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. And add black pepper. Salt to taste.
- Bake in oven for 11-13 minutes.
- Let cool for couple of minutes.
- Then carefully with a butter knife scrape at sides and gently pull each egg basket out.
- Sprinkle with chives on top and ENJOY!
1 thought on “Muffin Tin Egg in a Basket With Pesto and Parmesan”
Pingback: Quinoa Patties with Parmesan and Chives - Bebe and Bear